Weekend Stuffed Peppers
By: Easy Peasy Mommy
These stuffed peppers are super easy to make and can be stuffed with all varieties of deliciousness. I tend to make them on the weekends though because it does take a little longer to cook in the oven, so unless you have a good solid 45 min during the weekday, this is the perfect easy weekend meal that heats up great for leftovers and lunches. Pictured Left: Beef, Rice, Lentil Stuffed Peppers
Prep: 20 Cook: 45
$10 – $15
- 6 peppers (multi-colored)
- 1 LB ground beef
- 1 Pkg Taco Seasoning
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked lentil (green or brown)
- 1 cups salsa (mild, med, or hot)
- 1 can green chiles (4.5 oz)
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese
- cilantro, sour cream, avocado to garnish
Easier Peasier Recipe Tips:
- There is an endless combination of goodies that you can add into the stuffed pepper. Beef, rice, lentils, quinoa, onions, zucchini, black beans, corn, etc. The general process and seasoning is the same though. Feel free to mix and match for your family. This is also a great meal to sneak in some of those veggies.
- You don’t have to roast the peppers beforehand, but if you have time, I would suggest throwing it in for 10 min and then stuffing… unless you like your peppers a little crispy, in which case do not cook prior to stuffing.
- Peppers have slightly rounded bottoms which makes it hard to get them to stand up in a pan. There are two ways to help solve for this. One, use a bread pan. You can get two peppers per pan and the pan is small enough that they don’t fall over. Two, slice the bottom of the pepper very slightly to make level. Be sure not to cut too much off or the stuffing will just fall right through.
- If you are using brown rice (or any rice for that matter), feel free to use day old rice or instant rice to make this meal even easier.
- If you are using lentils, cook the lentils to the package instruction
- Lastly, I like to broil the peppers for the last 10 minutes. It gives the cheese a nice crispy brown finish.
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat oven to 450.
Cut the stems off the peppers and clean the insides removing all the seeds. Slice the bottom of the pepper very slightly (just to level the pepper)
Put peppers in the oven for 10 min (you can put them in while the oven is pre-heating)
Brown ground beef and added taco seasoning following package directions
Remove the peppers from the oven.
Mix rice (hot or cold), cooked lentils, and salsa together
Layer rice/lentil mixture with ground beef and cheese alternating layers in the pepper. Start with cheese at the bottom and finish with cheese on the top.
Bake in oven for 30 min, or until cheese is melted and ingredients are heated through
If you would like to brown the top of the cheese, turn broiler on for 2-5 min keeping close watch to not burn